Ares Reserves makes it possible to add and manage copyrighted course items, primarily readings, within your course.
Ares Reserves is a new tool provided by the University Library that is linked with UR Courses. It provides access to electronic course readings and helps to ensure copyright compliance. Advantages to using to Ares Reserves include:
- A central, secure location and 24/7 access to course readings
- Option to clone (copy) course readings from semester to semester
- Copyright service staff will check for copyright compliance and obtain any necessary permissions.
For further information or assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enabling Ares Reserves within your course
To use the Ares Reserves system within your course, use the method outlined below.
- Adding the Ares Reserves to your course as an external tool provides a link for students to access the course within Ares. The text of the link can be customized, and it can be positioned and configured much like any other activity or resource within your course.
For further information on using the Ares Reserves system, please refer to the Library's LibGuide.
Adding Ares Reserves to your course as an External tool
Adding the Ares Reserves to your course as an external tool provides a link for students to access the course materials within Ares. The text of the link can be customized, and it can be positioned and configured much like any other activity or resource within your course.
To add a link to the Ares Reserves for your course as an External tool, follow the steps outlined below, or watch the screencast.
- Enter your course and Turn Editing On.
- Click on the Add an activity or resource button within the section where you'd like to provide a link to Ares. This link can always be moved, just like any other resource or activity on the main course page.
Select External tool from the menu and click Add. As a shortcut, you can also just double click on the External tool.
If you have disabled the Activity Chooser, select External Tool from the Add an activity... menu.
On the configuration screen, enter the activity name. This will become the text of the link to Ares. Within the Preconfigured tool menu, select Ares Reserves.
Click on Show more...
...and ensure that the Launch container is set to New window for the best results.
- Click Save and display to continue to Ares and select the semester for the course.
If you clicked Save and return to course, you will need to click on your new Ares link in order to make the semester selection pictured above.
- Once the semester has been configured, you can now begin Adding reserve items to Ares.
- Once a reserve item is submitted, copyright service staff will assess the copyright status of each item.
- The instructor will be notified once the item is available on electronic reserve. Items will only be available to students once they have the Item Available on Electronic Reserves status.